Friday, March 6, 2009

The Franklin Fountain

In an unlikely decision, on a cold February day, during a recent trip to Philadelphia, my roommates from Florence and I ventured to the Franklin Fountain for some ice cream. When we arrived at this authentic old fashioned ice cream parlor, we walked off the street and back in time. We spent the next forty-five minutes having a turn of the century experience, complete with everything from an antique cash register to vintage signs. Even the two employees working behind the marble counter looked perfectly cast to play the roles old fashioned soda jerks!

When we finally got through the door, I was mesmerized by the selection of homemade ice creams and sodas I had to choose among. A hanging banner lists about thirty classic and unusual ice cream flavors, ranging from Rocky Road to Peanut Butter to Green Tea. On either side of the banner are billboards announcing sundaes and splits. The Mt. Vesuvius Sunday has, "a mountain of chocolate and vanilla ice cream erupting with chocolate brownie pieces, cascading with hot fudge and blanketed in malt powder. A dollop of whipped cream indicates her smoking signal." About the Tarzan of the Apes Banana Split the menu says, "this swinging swashbuckler was born in 1912 by a middle-aged pencil sharpener salesman named Edgar Rice Burroughs. As the story goes, a supple young man (a generous serving of Vanilla) with Ape blood (chocolate syrup) is raised on tropical fruits (bananas and berries) and crowned King of the Jungle (whipped cream headband)." The eleven other sundaes and splits are equally decadent and elaborate including ingredients like cherry liqueur, Spanish peanuts and homemade marshmallows. Aside from an overwhelming number of mouth watering ice cream, sundae and split options, the Fountain also serves ice cream waffles, homemade sodas, hot drinks and a selection of toppings unlike any other you have ever seen. Nearly everything served is homemade. The ice cream is homemade; the marshmallows are homemade; the thick chocolate fudge is homemade; the brownie toppings are homemade; and the sodas are homemade.

Unable to decide among all of the options and wanting to try EVERYTHING, I ordered a scoop of Chocolate ice cream, Coffee ice cream and Green Tea ice cream. I had this topped with homemade hot fudge and banana (tempted by the banana splits); and unwilling to leave without tasting one of the homemade sodas, I also ordered a homemade Rootbeer. I walked from the counter to our table with hot fudge overflowing onto my hands, and I shamelessly sat down with my friends, among the other patrons, and began my experiment. 

There are few ways to describe what I tasted that day, and my best suggestion would be for you to go try it yourself, but I will give it a shot. The ice cream was fresh and creamy and unlike any I have ever tasted, and I was instantly reminded that I was in Pennsylvania, where the immediate travel time for the milk, from the cow to the ice cream machine, was apparent in the taste. The hot fudge was thick and warm, and I was momentarily tempted to swipe a jar on my way out. Adding a topping of banana was an interesting alternative to ordering one of the banana splits, and I highly recommend this compromise if you find yourself overwhelmed and torn by all of the selections. The Chocolate, Coffee and Green Tea were unbelievable together and separately. I know it sounds like an odd combination,  but I highly recommend it. For me, the Green Tea was a test. I knew it could be hit or miss, but it was a huge hit. It seemed like all of the flavors within the walls of the Franklin Fountain could be paired together and enjoyed. Even my Rootbeer tasted delicious with my ice cream selections. It was sweet and syrupy and refreshing, which is something I normally do not think about sodas.

Although we stayed at the Fountain to eat and marvel, we had everything packaged to go. Leigh, who introduced us to the Fountain, tipped us off to the exciting, creative to go containers. All ice cream was packed into a Franklin Fountain logo-adorned Chinese food carton, which was half the fun of ordering too much to eat. Although I left the Fountain messier than some of the children sitting around us, I mostly left mesmerized by my experience. I think it is fair to say that all of us, Jena, Jess, Leigh and I, left with a renewed appreciation for ice cream, soda and the generation a few before us. So, if you find yourself in Philadelphia anytime soon (or not so soon), I highly recommend you venture over to The Franklin Fountain and step back in time for some old-fashioned ice cream and soda. 


The Franklin Fountain website:
www.franklinfountain.com 

The Franklin Fountain location:
No. 116 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA

1 comment:

  1. you really like bananas, already it's a common theme in your blog. have you ever had frozen chocolate covered bananas ? magic fountain has them and they're pretty good. if you haven't tried it we'll have to go together in june.

    ReplyDelete